March 20, 2012 § Leave a Comment
[Press Release] Deniz Kurtel Crosses America for ‘Double Exposure’ Tour. Visual Artist and Producer Will Unveil Her New LED Installation ‘The Introspectacular’ While Previewing Tracks From Her Forthcoming Album “The Way We Live” (Wolf + Lamb)
Last year Deniz Kurtel burst into the popular consciousness with her debut album “Music Watching Over Me” on trendsetting label Crosstown Rebels, earning critical praise for her totally fresh take on house music, and bewitching live audio visual club shows. 2012 will see her once again captivating audiences with her musical productions and visual art, as her April road tour, ‘Double Exposure’ takes her across the US.
A two pronged tour, ‘Double Exposure’ will see Deniz will unveil her new LED sculpture ‘The Introspectacular’ while premiering her album ‘The Way We Live’ at 15 club shows in 12 cities around the country including Miami, Washington DC, New York, Detroit, Chicago, San Francisco and Los Angeles. The tour kicks off in Washington DC on April 7 and concludes in San Francisco on April 29. ‘The Way We Live’ will be released on Wolf + Lamb June 4th, 2012.
“Double Exposure” is the second time Kurtel has paired a piece of LED art directly with her music, but marks the first time where the audience will be able to affect the experience. ‘The Introspectacular’, like much of Kurtel’s LED work, establishes an isolated space where the infinite reflections and layers of depth, achieved through her use of mirrors and LEDs, create a stimulus for inner-reflection and introspection. Housed in a 6×12 enclosed trailer, participants can control some of the LED lights via the keys of a midi controller, which simultaneously produces sounds, creating a visual mapping of what the participant is hearing and vice-versa.
“With the ability to generate a sound and a light with the same key, I wanted to facilitate a deeper connection with the basic senses of the participants while also engaging their sense of creativity,” said Kurtel of The Introspectacular.
Kurtel will drive across America towing ‘The Introspectacular”. The piece will be exhibited in twelve cities she visits on her journey, outside galleries and public spaces. Kurtel will also be playing live club shows in each of the cities, where she will debut music from her new album ‘The Way We Live’, which will be released on Wolf + Lamb in May. The LED piece will also be exhibited outside these music venues.
When discussing her debut album Kurtel noted that she wanted to “constantly grow and evolve, and make music that excites [her], hoping it excites others too.” It’s clear that on ‘The Way We Live’ she has followed through on that philosophy. A collaborative album, she is joined on every track a selection of the Marcy All Stars, including Soul Clap, Wolf + Lamb, Tanner Ross, Thugfucker, Pillow Talk, Voices of Black and more.
Her sophomore LP builds on the soulful mystical house of her debut, taking audiences on a narrative journey through the slower tempo spectrum of electronic music. From the hip-hop front and pacing of The Way We Live and Right On, to the haunting vocal strains of Art Department’s Kenny Glasgow on ‘Don’t Wanna Be’ to the Prince like funk of ‘Thunder Clap’, Kurtel keeps her listeners guessing, and most definitely excited.
Tracklist for ‘The Way We Live’
1. I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN with Tanner Ross feat. PillowTalk
2. YOU KNOW IT’S TRUE with Gadi Mizrahi
3. LOVE TRIANGLE (Instrumental) with Wolf + Lamb
4. THE WAY WE LIVE with Gadi Mizrahi
5. HYPOCRITE with Gadi Mizrahi
6. RIGHT ON with Gadi Mizrahi feat. Michael Franti
7. DON’T WANNA BE with Kenny Glasgow
8. SAFE WORD with Soul Clap feat. Navid Izadi
9. WAKE ME UP with PillowTalk & Thugfucker
10. BLACKNESS with PillowTalk & Thugfucker
11. THUNDER CLAP with Voices of Black
12. THE BEAT DROPS with Tanner Ross feat. Jules Born
Double Exposure US tour dates:
March 22 @ W+L Showcase, Electric Pickle, Miami
March 23 @ Bohemian Yacht Club, Miami
March 25 @ Ultra Festival, Miami
April 7 – Washington DC, venue TBA
April 8 – Philadelphia – PTY Backroom
April 14 – Marcy Hotel, New York
April 18 - Boston
April 20 – Detroit – The Works
April 21 – Chicago – Smart Bar
April 25 – Communikey Festival – Boulder, Colorado
April 27 – San Diego – Analog Bar
April 28 – Los Angeles, venue TBA
April 29 – San Francisco, venue TBA
November 11, 2010 § Leave a Comment
Nico Jaar turns in an exclusive set of all unreleased original productions and re-edits for theflawlessSound 38, made especially for Time Out NY and flawless in anticipation of his live set at the Rivington Penthouse this Sunday. The talented young producer has made a a splash with popular releases on Wolf+Lamb, Circus Company and his own imprint Clown & Sunset, incorporating such diverse influences as old school hip-hop and world music. Often pushing the boundaries of what we consider “dance music,” Nico’s music shows a maturity well beyond his years.
Also check out his RA Podcast if you happened to miss it:
Culprit artists SECT bring their twisted dancefloor magic to L.A. this Sunday + Soul Clap drop a nice live mix for Tim Sweeny’s Beats in Space radio show
October 7, 2010 § Leave a Comment
3. Janet Jackson – Escapade (The Get Away Dub) - A&M Records
4. Curtis Harrison – I Want You (All Tonight Dub) - Pretty Pearl Records
5. Peech Boys – Life is Something Special (Special Edition Dub) - Island Records
6. KC Flightt – She’s Sexxxy (Rated X Mix) -
7. Padlock – Seventh Heaven (Larry Levan Mix) - Island Records
8. Youknow01 – You Know - White Label
9. Donna Allen – Serious (Ron Basejam Edit) -
10. Felix – Tiger Stripes (Extended Version) - Sleeping Bag Records
11. Depeche Mode – Policy of Truth (Beatbox Mix) - Sire Records
12. Bruce Springsteen – State Trooper (MAW Edit) - Rimini
13. Scooper & Bubba – I’m Satisfied (The Way Power Dub) - Classic Records
14. Greg Paulus – U R - Double Standard Records
15. NDF – Since We Last Met - DFA
16. Sirius – An Eye For An Eye (Pete Heller Edit) - NRK Music
17. Harry Romero feat Robert Owens – I Go Back (Ken Lou In House Mix) -Subliminal
18. Projekt PM – Take You Higher - Guidance Records
19. Underworld – Cups - JBO